Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Chaos no more!

Yesterday morning was a treat. I got a front row seat to the pathetic excuse for driving displayed by the citizens of 98103 with a little snow and ice on the road. Aside from ALL 4 of the #5's getting stuck on 45th and Greenwood(which my fellow 8:16 a.m. bus catching crew and I didn't find out until about 8:45) and standing there unnecessarily for 30 minutes, I couldn't have had more fun watching the panic ensue. I had always heard of the unthinkable terrible Seattle drivers whenever there is a snowfall, but it didn't prepare me. I have to admit, that I took for granted my eastern Washington upbringing and our ability to navigate in less then ideal conditions. I also admit it was definitly a little slick, but not as bad as people made it look. I know this because after finding out that the buses were going to be late, I hopped in my 2-wheel drive 1997 Chevy S-10 with bald tires and motored downtown so I could get my work day started. I had heard from people I work with, who have lived here a lot longer then I have and also around the country, that Seattle has the worst drivers in America. Now I'm in no position to say, but disregarding any DOT statistics, I have to believe that we're up there. Also, atleast I don't have a Tuesday morning transit story like this.

Also found this interesting piece on the front page of today's PI about the Google office in Fremont(which I didn't know was even there, along with the other big company offices). I'm trying to figure out when they get any work done. Sounds more like a day of R&R then work. I work in what can be described as a casual work environment, but this blows my work out of the water. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned.

No comments: