Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Where do I begin...


So I was doing some local blog browsing in the local papers and came across this article in the Seattle Times. I'm not sure where to begin with this article because there are so many things worth mentioning/venting about. Anyways, the story is about the Aurora Bridge that connects Fremont to Queen Anne. Long story short, our state government is dedicating $1.4 million to building a suicide-prevention fence along the bridge. Without trying to sound insensitive, why?!?!? Not because I am in favor of people killing themselves, cause I'm not. It just seems like there is a better use of tax dollars than blocking one method of suicide and presumeably leading them to another. I'm no expert in suicide, but it seems to me that building this fence is just going to delay the inevitable. What person, who is obviously down on his luck is going to go the bridge for that fateful jump only to realize that a fence has been built and then all of a sudden realize that their life is worth living? Not saying it won't/can't happen, but I'd be willing to put my money on the fact that they will be able to think of another method finish the job. I'm not doing a real good job of being sensitive, I know, but I like to think of it as being realistic. My point is that people who want to kill themselves for whatever reason it may be... are probably going to find a way to do it no matter what our government tries to do to prevent it. That's all.
The peak of amazement, however, came from reading the part of the article that talked about previous suicide-prevention methods which included putting up signs encouraging people to seek help and installing phones on the bridge to call whomever helps with these kinds of things. My mind was pretty well blown after reading that. I would love the opportunity to sit down over a nice frosty brew(I'll even buy) with whomever thought that was a good idea and ask why. Thats it. Nothing else needs to be talked about. Just for my own curiosity. Just think of the man power that was wasted making and putting up these signs and installing these phones, and the problems that it could have been put towards. One possible alternative would be organizing support groups for depressed people, among other possibilities.
The one part of the article that was interesting to me from a fact standpoint, was the part that the bridge is the second most suicide committed bridge in the U.S... only behind the Golden Gate Bridge. Suddenly the time I was driving across the bridge and there was a lone woman walking along peacefully with police chasing after her made sense to me. Maybe she saw one of the signs or used the phone, I have no idea, but it looked from my standpoint that she was just minding her own business and the police were chasing for no reason.
Also, 2006 interestingly enough was tied 1972 for the 2nd deadliest year with 9 suicides. 40 people have jumped over the last decade, but compare that to the 25 at the Golden Gate Bridge and we're getting dominated (thankfully I might add).
Well I just reread through this whole thing and I suppose I should end this post/rant now and stop talking. Anybody who reads this(if anybody even made it all the way through), I would be curious on any feedback/opinions.

No comments: